Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:21:33 +0800 (PST)
From:      "Francis Percival C. Favoreal" <june@adn.edu.ph>
To:        Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: double CR's

---593165767-1871409867-850191693=:16680

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Softweyr LLC wrote:

> You have told the tty driver, via stty, to turn on CR->NL mapping or
> some such thing.  Try doing stty -a in a telnet session and stty -a
> on the console, and see what is different.  Any differences you discover,
> especially in settings like icrnl, inlcr, etc., are probably causing
> the problem.

Attach with this e-mail are the samples from stty -a's from the server
console and from the NCSA telnet session. The differences that I see are:

	CONSOLE			NCSA TELNET
	-extproc		extproc
	ignbrk			-ignbrk

I did a stty ignbrk in the NCSA telnet session. But still, I see double
CR's or two CR's result in pressing the Enter key.

e.g.
	$ <Enter>	results to	$ <Enter>
					$
					$ _

Continuing, I did a stty -extproc in the NCSA telnet session again. This
time, I did see some change.

e.g.
	$ <Enter>	results to	$ <Enter>

					$ _

I tried running pine and whenever I press Enter, it no longer does two
CR's. However, I noticed that I do not see anything I type anymore on the
shell prompt but I could still issue commands.

Both sessions now have same terminal settings. The main problem right now
, although I don't see double CR's, is that I could no longer see anything
I type.

Anything I missed ?

> You'll also want to determine where these are being set incorrectly,
> so you can solve the problem system-wide.  I'm not sure where pty's
> like a telnet port pick up their initial stty settings, and don't
> have a FreeBSD system at hand right now.

The start-up stty settings I think is in the file /etc/gettytab.

--
june
System Administrator

---593165767-1871409867-850191693=:16680
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---593165767-1871409867-850191693=:16680--