Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 20:03:08 +0100
From:      Ismat Halabi <ismat.halabi@ericsson.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Cannot boot after completed installation!

--------------90903AEA381D358DF0F747D6

HI,

I have successfully installed FreeBSD 4.2 from CDROM on my PC hard disk.
Yet I cannot boot from hard disk although it has less than 1024
cylinders! What is the problem?

When I tried to follow the first suggestion in 1.9 in the FAQ
(http://www.freebsd.org/docs/en/books/faq/install.html), it did not work
either. I got the message "Cannot write to file bootsav.bin," although
the installation table says bsd is bootable and has a boot partition.

<1.9. Windows 95/98 killed my boot manager! How do I get it <back?

<You can reinstall the boot manager FreeBSD comes with in <one of three
ways:

<    Running DOS, go into the tools/ directory of your FreeBSD
<distribution and look for bootinst.exe.
   < You run it like so:

<        ...\TOOLS> bootinst.exe boot.bin

<    and the boot manager will be reinstalled.

Trying with the second option (se below) did not help either.

--

> Boot the FreeBSD boot floppy again and go to the Custom installation menu item. Choose
>     Partition. Select the drive which used to contain your boot manager (likely the first one) and when
>     you come to the partition editor for it, as the very first thing (e.g. do not make any changes) select
>     (W)rite. This will ask for confirmation, say yes, and when you get the Boot Manager selection
>     prompt, be sure to select Boot Manager. This will re-write the boot manager to disk. Now quit out of
>
>     the installation menu and reboot off the hard disk as normal.

Regards,
Ismat

Ismat Halabi            mailto:ismat.halabi@ericsson.com IP-BSS/RNS
System Management & Design Ericsson Radio Systems
http://www.ericsson.com Gullfossgatan 4         164 80 Stockholm
Sweden Ph +46-8-585 33878      Fax +46-8-75 70354     Mobile +46-70-631
02 99

--------------90903AEA381D358DF0F747D6

HI,
Yet I cannot boot from hard disk although it has less than 1024 cylinders!
What is the problem?
it did not work either. I got the message "Cannot write to file bootsav.bin,"
although the installation table says bsd is bootable and has a boot partition.
of three ways:
your FreeBSD &lt;distribution and look for bootinst.exe.
boot.bin
<pre>Trying with the second option (se below) did not help either.</pre>

<pre>--</pre>

<pre>Boot the FreeBSD boot floppy again and go to the Custom installation menu item. Choose
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Partition. Select the drive which used to contain your boot manager (likely the first one) and when
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; you come to the partition editor for it, as the very first thing (e.g. do not make any changes) select
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (W)rite. This will ask for confirmation, say yes, and when you get the Boot Manager selection
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; prompt, be sure to select Boot Manager. This will re-write the boot manager to disk. Now quit out of
</pre>

<pre>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; the installation menu and reboot off the hard disk as normal.</pre>

<A HREF="mailto:ismat.halabi@ericsson.com">mailto:ismat.halabi@ericsson.com</A> IP-BSS/RNS System Management &amp; Design
Ericsson Radio Systems&nbsp; <A HREF="http://www.ericsson.com">http://www.ericsson.com</A>; Gullfossgatan 4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
164 80 Stockholm&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Sweden Ph +46-8-585
33878&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Fax +46-8-75 70354&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Mobile +46-70-631 02 99</html>