Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 17:05:45 -0500
From:      Al Johnson <Al.Johnson@AJC.State.Net>
To:        "'Chuck Robey'" <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: What I consider and odd install

On Sunday, July 13, 1997 11:42 PM, Chuck Robey [SMTP:chuckr@glue.umd.edu]
wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, Al Johnson wrote:
>
> > Now to the problem.  I've a GW2K Pentrium Pro 180 that I want to use for
> > compiles of any package.  It's got a 3.8GB EIDE Disk and CDROM.  I've also
> > got an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI with a 1GB fixed disk, 8G tape unit, 135Syquest
> > (ya I know), and 1G Jaz drive.  I want FreeBSD on the Jaz drive since I
> > won't be using it all the time (The machine runs mostly Win95...uggg)
> >
> > No matter what I do I can't get the FreeBSD boot manager to give me the
> > option of booting from the JAZ drive.  I've gone thru and made sure it's
> > BIOS recognized.  The order displayed at boot time is: C:3.8GB EIDE D:1GB
> > Seagate, 82h JAZ, 83h EZ135.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to a solution or pointers to where I can get more info
> > would be greatly appreciated.  I'm really interested in seeing just how
> > well FreeBSD run when it's allowed to open up an a PPro 180 with 64MB of
> > memory as opposed to my 486/66 with 16MB.
>
> Al, on the Jaz drive, is either the FreeBSD partition marked as the active
> one (via fdisk) or is bteasy installed on the Jaz drive?  On your original
> boot disk, bteasy requires _one_ of those two or it will refuse to
> transfer control.

I've got the boot manager installed on the jaz drive but for some reason,
apparently booteasy only supports 2 drives, I never get the chance to select
the jaz for booting.  I think this is a case where two many drives is
complicating the issue.

I've even gone so far as to disable the primary EIDE interface (3.8G). Booteasy
still discovers the disk.  I select Disk2 and it wants to boot
from the CDROM.  still no jaz drive in the picture.  Looks like I may have
to partition my 3.8G disk to boot FreeBSD.  Hmm, maybe just go out and buy
another EIDE drive for the primary controller and all will be well.