Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 23:24:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        david@sparks.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, A Joseph Koshy <koshy@india.hp.com>, Alexander Indenbaum <baum@actcom.co.il>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Checking the integrity of system files

Hi david@sparks.net;  On 26-Aug-97 you wrote:
>  On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > > Are you considering to move to RPM-like package management?
> >
> > If you mean "RPM-like" in the sense that they'll both be package
> > managers, then yes.  If you mean RPM specifically then no.
>
>  Out of curiosity, what are the functional limitations/drawbacks of RPM?
>  Anything we can do to standardize in the free OS world is a GoodThing
>  IMHO, at least as a goal:)

Somehow it is a mess.  Dozens of versions (well, 2 or three) out there, not
quite compatible with each other.  Messy tools.  Requires gzillion tools to
process.   Debian is better already, although essentially the same.

When thinking about these archives, do not forget that a boot floppy has to
unpack them.  If you are not careful, you will end up with 5 floppies boot
set.  Please do not tell me that cannot happen.  It did and does.

Simon