Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 01:02:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Another Q about hw.ata.atapi_dma

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:

> Hi.
>
> OK, so I boot, hit the spacebar, and enter 'set hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"',
> and 'boot'. The sysctl setting takes:
>
>    [sheol] ~$ sysctl -a |grep dma
>    hw.ata.ata_dma: 1
>    hw.ata.atapi_dma: 1
>    hw.atamodes: dma,---,pio,pio,
>
> And/but dmesg still shows (correspondingly):

>    acd0: CD-RW <CR-4804TE> at ata1-master using PIO3
>    acd1: CDROM <LTN485S> at ata1-slave using PIO4
>
> Does this mean the hardware doesn't support DMA, or am I looking at the
> wrong thing to see that it is using DMA? The drives do function.

    Some of them the drives lie about supporting DMA.  FWIW, I've had
good luck with DMA with Creative Labs, Hitachi, and Lite-On products.
The latter in particular provide awesome bang for the buck, with a
product available that does 16x8x40x for CD-R, CD-RW, and reading CDs,
respectively, for under $90 US if you shop around.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)