Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 20:08:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@vicor-nb.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG, wollman@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: re-entrancy and the IP stack.

<<On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:13:41 -0800 (PST), Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> said:

> (and anyhow Garrett got rid of the 'static' uses
> of mbufs, not 'travelling' 'per packet' uses..)

Only because I did not have the time or stomach then to introduce
`struct packet' everywhere.  All of the queueing and metadata crap
should be pulled out of mbufs and put into a higher-level object.
It's OK if the higher-level object HAS_A(mbuf), but not IS_A(mbuf).

This is A Lot Of Work, but would seriously clean up the code in a
number of areas.

As a general rule, though, reentrancy was not a particular concern of
the original design -- that's why there are queues and soft ISRs all
over the place -- because you would blow the kernel stack long before
that became an issue.

-GAWollman