Date:      Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:22:31 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG, Josh Thomas <jdt2101@ksu.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW rules and outward connections

Lots of good conversation on this topic yesterday and today.
My $.02:
I agree 100% with Ted on the point of the media pretending that all
crackers are super computer geniouses. It's bullshit. Every incident of
a breakin that I've seen over the last few years has been the result of
VERY sloppy security. I think most of the REAL super experts are
creating the secure systems, not cracking them.
To counter that, there are an unbelievable number of servers on the `net
in a terrible state of insecurity. This makes the risk of DoS attacks
VERY high.
Also to counter that ... if you secure your system tightly enough that
you can't conceive of any possible breakin, then nobody dumber than you
will get through ... and most crackers are dumber than you! That's my
(overall) approach to security.
So ... I've already been planning a sales pitch entitled "You are at
risk" where I'll be finding servers hosted locally with lousy security
and going in with a sales pitch where I scare them silly! Then I sell
them a firewall and monitoring services.
Wish me luck,
Bill