Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 15:09:23 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to change man{1} output width

Hi,

I'm using non - standard FreeBSD console geometry (100x37) and just wonder how
I can adjust groff configuration to format man pages for 100 columns instead of
default 80. I've tried to add .ll macro to the end of the
/usr/share/tmac/man.local but it seems doesn't have any visible effect :-(.
Does anybody with more deep knowledge of groff could advice me on this issue?

In general it would be nice if someone would teach man(1) to respect COLUMNS
environmental variable - all xterm users would definitely benefit from that.

-Maxim
P.S. Please CC'ing replies to me since I is not subscribed to those two lists.