Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 2003 10:31:53 -0500
From:      "R. Scott Lawyer" <lawyeray@hvcc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Instaling on a Compaq Proliant with SmartArray 221

I am a FreeBSD Newbie trying to install 5.0, but I will Install any
Version that will work, on a Compaq Proliant, Dual 550 MHz with 512 MB
RAM, Smart Array 221 RAID Controller with a RAID 5 Array (4 * 18.2GB)
drives.   The installation hangs after discovering the SCSI Tape Drive.
  With the following message:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0
/stand/sysinstall running as init on vty0
panic: general protection fault

syncing disks, buffers remaining... panic: bdwrite: buffer is not busy
Uptime: 20s

What tricks can I use to get this installed?

Any help is appreciated.

Scott