Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:27:02 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Standard bsdlabel(8) layout not understood by Alpha bootblocks?

--C+ts3FVlLX8+P6JN

Hi,

When migrating to a larger disk on my AlphaPC 164SX yesterday,
I've found that the standard bsdlabel(8) layout is not understood
by the Alpha bootblocks.  By "standard" I mean that the `a'
partition holding the root file system starts at offset 16.

I did "bsdlabel -B -w da1 auto", then split the auto-created
`a' partition (that starts from offset 16) to /, /usr, /tmp,
and /var, then used newfs/mount/dump/restore to copy file
systems to a new location.

After a reboot, bootblocks complained that /boot/loader was
not found.

I re-edited the label, and changed the partition `a' to start
=66rom offset 0, doing another newfs/mount/dump/restore cycle,
this resulted in a mountable disk.

This is with 6.0-CURRENT...

Cheers,
--=20