Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 12:42:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Systalk] localhost.org (fwd)

> In article <199911181629.IAA85609.kithrup.freebsd.security@apollo.backplane.com> you write:
> >    No, you are absolutely right.  I was about to comment on that
> >    myself.  My domain is 'backplane.com' but the hostname I use for
> >    my main machine is 'apollo.backplane.com', not 'backplane.com'.
> >    I then simply route backplane.com's MX records and, of course,
> >    www.backplane.com, to apollo.
>
> I think it may be necessary to document this better... it's something I've
> been doing for years, and never gave a thought to it.  I "just knew" that the
> domain name shouldn't be used as an actual hostname.

It should be in a ``current best practices'' RFC some place, this and a
few other things like you shouldn't really ever assign an A record to
a 2nd level domain, but rather use MX, etc all.  I don't know how many
A records on 2nd levels I've had to cleanup for folks, but it seems there
are folks out there who think this is the right thing to be doing :-(.

And to go alone with this thread it should be verboten to register
the domain names ``localhost'' or ``localnet'' as 2 level domains.

Infact the .com, .org, .net, .mil, .edu should already have an A
record of localhost and localnet in them, just like every other zone.
These are after all reserved names with special meanings.

IMNSO there should even be a set of TLD's, localhost. and localnet..

Another best practive often not done correctly is the reverse zome for
127.in-addr.arpa.  Yes, thats right, I said 127.in-addr.arpa, not
0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.  And that is where the error is made, even in the
bind documentation and in what FreeBSD distributes.  Here is a proper
zone file:

;
;       127.in-addr.arpa
;

@       IN      SOA     gndrsh.dnsmgr.net. root.gndrsh.dnsmgr.net. (
                                1999031300      ; Serial
                                3600            ; Refresh
                                900             ; Retry
                                3600000         ; Expire
                                3600 )          ; Minimum
                IN      NS      gndrsh.dnsmgr.net.

0.0.0           IN      PTR     localnet.dnsmgr.net.
                IN      A       255.0.0.0
1.0.0           IN      PTR     localhost.dnsmgr.net.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net