Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:24:17 -0500
From:      Jon Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca>
Cc:        Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: sound in CURRENT]

On 08/22/04 17:07, Mathew Kanner wrote:
> 	I've been off-line for about six weeks.  There were many
> problems with my ISP and so no internet after I moved.  Anyway, I've
> been back on-line for like 24 h.
> 	If someone can tell me how to generate some diffs out of
> /usr/src/sys (that I sync'ed to releng_5 yesterday), I can provide
> midi/sequencer that least works for me with emu10k1 and cmi.  (I'm
> scared to run cvsup...)

Copy /usr/src/sys to somewhere else and then re-cvsup (if you've added
new files/directories, be sure to remove them from the tree before
running cvsup to be sure you have a "clean" tree).  Run a diff between
the 2 places.

I find the easiest way to keep a custom tree up-to-date is by checking
out the repository itself via cvsup (see
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile).  You can then do a cvs checkout
of the source from your mirrored local cvs repository.  An update is
then a 2-step process where you first update the repository via cvsup
and then update your tree from the local repository via cvs.

 From the handbook section on cvsup (the cvs-supfile example uses this):
"There is an important special case that comes into play if you specify
neither a tag= field nor a date= field. In that case, you receive the
actual RCS files directly from the server's CVS repository, rather than
receiving a particular version. Developers generally prefer this mode of
operation. By maintaining a copy of the repository itself on their
systems, they gain the ability to browse the revision histories and
examine past versions of files. This gain is achieved at a large cost in
terms of disk space, however."

To generate a diff is just running "cvs -R diff -u" (no need to have
write-access; this also allows any user to do it).  A bonus is that you
get the specific revision you're diffing from.  See this example diff:
http://www.noacks.org/freebsd/es137x.diff

Jon