Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:46:24 -0800
From:      Alan DuBoff <aland@SoftOrchestra.com>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem working, now getting ppp setup

At 06:43 PM 2/28/99 -0700, Kenneth Ingham wrote:
>However, you may need to do nothing at all with these, as the place you
>dial into may have you log in first, then start up PPP.  In this case,
>no (PPP) authentication is done.
>
>If you can get the connection to start manually, then what you really
>need to be doing is creating chat strings (similar to the UUCP chat you
>described).

Yes, I just responded to a message from Andre, and this echos what he said.
I definitely don't need chap or pap, just the chat scripts.

I didn't realize that what Solaris does is that type of chat for me behind
the covers, but I can dial in manually, and yes, I send my userid, then my
password, and I then get a prompt that I enter startppp from, and that
starts the juices to flow.

I also want to use pppd, most definitely, as KDE has the front end GUI for
that, and I use KDE. However, my pppd is not starting right now and it
tells me that it can't find the /etc/ppp/options file, which is not there,
so I need to figure out what it wants from there and get things setup
properly.

I was using the online tutorial from sims@ibm.net, and have it setup as he
did, but with the interactive section changed to not include the chap stuff.

Alan DuBoff - Conductor
Software Orchestration, Inc.
aland@SoftOrchestra.com