Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2001 20:59:01 -0600
From:      GB/DEV - Doug Poland <doug.poland@omniresources.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.2R Installation problem (different box) -- slow IDE?

Hello,

I'm trying to install 4.2R on a Compaq Presario 7170.
It's an older box with a Pentium overdrive chip, 48MB
RAM, 812MB Conner, 3815MB Western Digital, and Matshita CDROM
on ata0-master (ad0), ata0-slave (ad1), and ata1-master (acd0).

After doing a graphical config, it took at least 5 minutes for
the "devices to settle".  I finally got through the config
and began installation.  On screen one, I see...

"All filesystem information written successfully"

On the debug screen I see...

"acd0: PREVENT_ALLOW command timeout - resetting"
"ata1: resetting devices .. done"
    above message repeated 3 more times
"acd0: TEST_UNIT_READY command timeout - resetting"
"ata1: resetting devices .. done"
    above message repeated 3 more times
"acd0: READ_TOC command timeout - resetting"
"ata1: resetting devices .. done"
    above message repeated 7 more times
"acd0: READ_CAPACITY command timeout - resetting"
"ata1: resetting devices .. done"
    above message repeated 3 more times
"acd0: READ_CD command timeout - resetting"
"ata1: resetting devices .. done"
    above message repeated 4 more times

I've been watching it now for the last 15 minutes
and it's repeating the READ_CD message.

Does anyone know what's going on?  Bad CDROM?
IDE Controller?  Any and all ideas appreciated.

--
Doug