Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 2016 16:29:40 +0100
From:      Terje Elde <terje@elde.net>
To:        Ross <basarevych@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can I upgrade 9.1 straight to 10.2?

> On 27 Jan 2016, at 16:23, Ross <basarevych@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> I have a server with an old installation of FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE. Can I just=

> download 10.2 sources and do installworld and installkernel there?
>=20
> Or should I install all the releases in between one by one?

More often than not, you can just go directly, however;

1. Remember backup first
2. Skim through /usr/src/UPDATING
3. Follow the procedure about updating everything, in the same file.=20

If possible, a fun option is to restore a backup to a spare machine (or VM) a=
nd upgrade the backup.=20

There's also ports to consider. I'll typically do a full ports rebuild after=
 jumping major versions. There's a similar /usr/ports/UPDATING.=20

Terje=