Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 00:01:32 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   diskless - anybody got one working?

I've been attempting to get a diskless FreeBSD machine running which
boots across the network using etherboot.  So far, I can get the machine
to boot off the etherboot created floppy and it loads the kernel across
the network.  However, after the kernel loads, instead of mounting the
remote root filesystem it just prompts me to enter the location of the
root filesystem.  If I try to enter something like
nfs:x.x.x.x:/usr/home/diskless the kernel panics and reboots the
machine.  I can see that the ISC-DHCPD is sending the paramaters for the
"Root Filesystem" using ethereal.  I have also configured and compiled a
kernel with the necessary BOOTP options.  I don't think it's an NFS
problem at this point, as after it boots the kernel the diskless machine
never attempts to do anything with NFS, or at least not so far as
ethereal can see.  It seems to be either a problem with etherboot or
with the kernel paying no attention to the "Root Filesystem"
configuration sent by the DHCPD.  The other strange thing is that if I
build the diskless kernel on my 4.6-STABLE box the diskless machine
won't attempt to boot the loaded kernel, but rather just reboots the
machine as soon as it's done loading the kernel across the network.
However, if I build the diskless kernel on a 4.6.2-RELEASE (the same box
that I'm trying to get to boot diskless) the kernel loads and boots, but
stops to ask me where the root filesystem is located.  Has anybody got a
diskless setup working with 4.6, DHCP, and etherboot?

Thanks,
Nathan