Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 14:17:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        Charles Quarri <randy@hackerz.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hesiod support on 2.2

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Narvi wrote:

> > I was under the impression that Hesiod did not require w/ps/etc to be
> > recompiled due to toehold, or was that an MIT-only thing?  I thought they
>
> I have not seen toehold anywhere... And somewho w, ps, ls, etc. have to be
> told to talk to hesiod to get the uid<->name mappings.

Well, toehold would install all relevant mappings in /etc/passwd, and then
w/ps/ls just use the standard getpwent-style calls to access the data.

> > dynamically allocated UIDs when the user logged in (this was the toehold
> > step), and added them to passwd, etc.  They also had a magic NFS that
> > converted UIDs to Kerberos identities.  The identity information would be
> > pulled out of the HS-class DNS records and used to synthesize a local
> > account.  At least, this is what I heard via Derrick Brashear
> > <shadow@andrew.cmu.edu>.  :)
>
> And this all would certainly be hyper cool. But I doubt this all is
> available in the hesiod distribution.

It sounded fairly spiffy to me.  The only mention I have found of toehold
in the standard Kerberos release is in KERBEROS(1) where it indicates that
a ticket might be provided by toehold or by kinit.  One could thing that
could be done with PAM (if we had PAM or friends) would be to have the PAM
module dynamically create the account as described and perform the toehold
activities of choice.

Indeed, I also doubt that it is in the standard Hesiod system :).  I have
not looked at the hesiod distribution recently -- I'll grab a copy this
afternoon and take a look.  Some have suggested using LDAP for
distributing this kind of information, but I personally like the idea of
DNS used in this manner -- with security, this becomes quite feasible.
There is significant oposition to storing this kind of information in DNS
in a number of the groups working with DNS.  The feeling is that another
service should be used for this.  I'm caught between agreeing that this
may be beyond the scope of DNS, and also noting that DNS provides an
excellent distribution mechanism, with security, etc, for this
information.  Given that DNSsec provides an excellent public key
distribution system, I lean towards storing authentication-related data
there.

  Robert N Watson

----
Carnegie Mellon University  http://www.cmu.edu/