Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 00:32:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        abhijit vaidya <sherlockabhi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Query

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, abhijit vaidya wrote:

>      I am a student of final year of computer
> engineering in Pune Institute Of Computer Technology,
> Pune, India. I am doing 'Highly Available Netwrok File
> Server on FreeBSD' as my final year porject. I want to
> know if there exists any jounaling file system on
> FreeBSD. If it does, then that will help me a lot
> during the designing.
> Please inform soon.

FreeBSD does not have a journaling filesystem. while people have talked of
implementing one, or porting one over from Linux (either IBMs JFS, or
SGIs XFS) i've yet to actually see the need for it. FreeBSD (and, by
extention, all BSDs) has softupdates. while this is not journaling, it is
very effective in reducing the amount of time an fsck takes. you can read
the white papers on it out on the net.

-- jan

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche