Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2002 12:04:56 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>, freebsd chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: email, email, email,  :-(

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 01:55:08PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 12:56:24AM -0800, chip wrote:
>
> > What do some of you guys use, to download, filter, and read your mail
> > from so many mail lists?
>
> I use fetchmail as POP3 client; postfix as MTA; procmail as mail
> filter and mutt as MUA.  I've never come across a more powerful and
> configurable MUA than mutt..it's great!

I don't use procmail, it seemed too much hassle for the simple task
of separating list messages. I just use mutt.

I have a couple of other email addresses for list subscriptions,
leaving my main mailbox uncluttered. By changing permissions
on files I can access them all with mutt from my normal login.

When dealing with lists, I use mutt macros to pull out all mail
to a particular list (based on the Sender: header) and save them
to individual mail folders. For example, Ctrl-F followed by the
first three characters of a FreeBSD list will archive those
messages for reading later. Here's part of my .muttrc:

 # ^K general (^G didn't work)
 macro index \ckpgs "T~e pgsql-novice^M;s=pgsql-novice^M"
 macro index \ckbug "T~e bugtraq^M;s=bugtraq^M"
 macro index \ckcom "T~t compost^M;s=compost^M"
 # ^F freebsd
 macro index \cfpor "T~e freebsd-ports^M;s=freebsd-ports^M"
 macro index \cfsta "T~e freebsd-stable^M;s=freebsd-stable^M"
 macro index \cfsec "T~e freebsd-security^M;s=freebsd-security^M"
 macro index \cfisp "T~e freebsd-isp^M;s=freebsd-isp^M"

... and so on. Several macros can be combined into one, too
 macro index \cf3 "^Fsma^M;^Falp^M;^Fdat^M;^Fmul^M"
or tag all the birds lists at once
 macro index \cksmb "T~t budgielist | ~t clicktrain | ~t birdclick | ~t all4budgies | ~t acockatielone | ~t freeflight | ~t crows^M"

Before I do this manual filtering, I can look at the inbox, sorted
by date-received, and see _all_ new mail as it arrives, without
having to check in several different places and possibly missing
an interesting topic while it's hot.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-