Date:      Tue, 01 Jan 2008 14:09:53 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Luis Medinas <lmedinas@gmail.com>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Brasero on FreeBSD

--=-6l7hW5wP0cViqaS3rMJa

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 03:52 +0000, Luis Medinas wrote:
> Hi
>=20
> As a co-maintainer of Brasero i'm tempted to ask why FreeBSD hasn't
> brasero 0.7.0 on the ports tree. None of us are using FreeBSD sadly but
> we can work together to make it work better for FreeBSD if it isn't
> working atm. Please bump brasero.

First, this is very encouraging.  I love it when maintainers make an
effort to help port their application to another platform.  Thank you.

Now for the bad news.  We have quite a few users that want to use
brasero on FreeBSD, but we haven't had anyone step up to fix the
problems.  Admittedly, I offered to look into this a while ago, but fell
behind with non-FreeBSD work, and the FreeBSD hal port update.  Here's
were we stand with brasero now:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/115240 : This looks
like a problem with brasero overriding PATH for a Linux-centric
environment.  mkisofs is found in /usr/local/bin on FreeBSD.
Admittedly, I have not looked into the brasero code to determine if this
is the case, or if this problem is still relevant in 0.7.0.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/117364 : This is a bit
nastier.  FreeBSD's cdrecord only supports the legacy bus,target,lun
notation.  Our HAL exports this address via the block.freebsd.cam_path
property, and I hacked nautilus-cd-burner to support this property on
FreeBSD.

If you have suggestions on these problems, I would be happy to get
brasero up to 0.7.0 and working properly on FreeBSD.

Joe

--=20
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome@FreeBSD.org