Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 97 11:23:36 -0700
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Brian Tao" <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
Cc:        "freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMP motherboard advice...

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 16:24:59 -0400 (EDT), Brian Tao wrote:

>BTW, I heard that the AMD K6's can do SMP now... fact or fiction?

	According to the AMD tech that I talked to, the cpu is capable
of being used in an SMP configuration, however there are currently no
motherboards that support it.  The problem is the standard that the
chips need to communicate between themselves (I don't remember the name
of the thing, I think it was a four-letter acronym).  Intel uses one
standard, AMD gambled on a competing standard and lost when no mb
manufacturers made chips that support it.

	The person I talked to said that there are negotiations for a
mb manufacturer to provide these motherboards (probably gigabyte based
on what I heard from other sources), but there are no concrete plans at
this time.

Hope this helps,

Doug

PS, I was disappointed too