Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 13:45:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        steve@edmweb.com (Steve Reid)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, Zeki@Dilbert.Oasysinc.com, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Performance under -stable/-current

> > > One should always temper theory with reality.  You can go a lot faster by
> > > striping your sectors across several surfaces, for example.
>
> > Very very very rare.
>
> I thought having more that one platter would do this?? It doesn't
> actually split one sector over multiple surfaces, but adjacent sectors
> could be (and are?). Can grab several sectors in parallel that way.

Though the theory of all this sounds great, I do not know of a disk
manufacturer doing this in thier standard drive line.  (Yes, there
are very special and very expensive drives that have this feature, but
again, very very very rare.)

The cost of doing this is non-trivial, and I don't care to get into
the gory details of it all, just take it at my word, this is something
that is not very common.