Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 08:23:13 -0700
From:      "Donald and Rosalyn Fast" <d_rfast@telus.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FTP install problem

Hi,

Having read relevant parts (and several extra sections) of the Handbook, FAQ,
install notes and Complete FreeBSD (2nd ed), I still seem to be missing something.

QUESTIONS:
1a) what is the correct string to have in "VERSION" in (Setup) options?
1b) which FTP servers should work (and use default account of FTP?)?
2) Is it correct to type "faster.bc.hsia.telus.net" as machine name?
3) For a MSDOS install, where in directory structure do "ports" and "X" go?
(c:\freebsd\ports does not work)

DETAILS

1)
I downloaded and created the two boot floppies (from 4.0-20000430-STABLE).
Rebooted and started the install process,
OPTIONS
- DHCP to yes (As I am using Telus ADSL in Vancouver, BC, Canada)
- version to install was "4.0-20000430-STABLE",
  also tried "" and "none"

When i get to choose the ftp site, none of them seem to work
with a message of the form "unable to get access to specified version"

Between the different version strings and different FTP servers, I
managed to get part of the system downloaded, but it could not download
correctly (or find) all of the parts ( x, ports, ...)

2)
Another portion of the install I am not sure if it is correct has to do
with DHCP configuration.  Setup detects my network card (Realtek ) and
IP config prompts for machine information.  The gateway and IP are correct
for my machine name, i tab over and then back (this fills in
bc.hsia.telus.net) and add faster (so now this field reads:
faster.bc.hsia.telus.net)  Is this correct?

3)  I tried to download (using internet explorer under win98) the required
files to c:\FreeBSD.  This worked for the base system, but install could
not find ports and X.  I have them placed in c:\freebsd\ports and
c:\FreeBSD\xf86336.  Should they be in a different directory? or what
options do i set in install so that it can find them?

Thanks in advance,
Donald Fast
Vancouver, BC, Canada