Date:      Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:28:53 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@ferrarishields.com>
To:        "Free BSD Questions list" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: UPS advice, please ...

> And which one do you recommend?
>
> I have two mini-towers, one an old dell dimension 650R 200W and
> another
> clone anthlon-xp 300W.
>
> Do I need two UPS or can I get one which can service these two
> machines?
>
> Both run FreeBSD 5.4.

The way these daemons work is that after a certain time-out while on
battery power (usually set to 5-10 minutes), the computer sends a
shut-down command to the UPS and then turns itself off. After 30 seconds
or so, the UPS then shuts down. Upon AC power coming back, the UPS
automatically turns on and the computer reboots (you need to have the
computer automatically boot on restoration of power, a BIOS setting).

If you want to put multiple machines on a single UPS, it's nice to
inform the other machine(s) before the controlling computer shuts down
and kills the UPS...

I'd look at apcupsd (although I haven't used it)...from the ports

        "It can monitor and log the current power and battery status,
perform
        automatic shutdown, and can run in network mode in order to
power
        down other hosts on a LAN"

That may be just what you want...

~Dan