Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 1996 11:57:35 -0800
From:      "Pedro Giffuni S." <m230761@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lots of Compilers and other stuff...

Hi,
This www.idiom.com/other.html has several interesting services, they
keep a list of Free Database Systems and a list of Free compilers
Looking in the old list of http://www.idiom.com/free-compilers/ I found
Standford´s SUIF compiler system.

I wanted to share this stuff from the README in
http://suif.stanford.edu:
WHAT SUIF IS

SUIF is a collection of programs and libraries, mostly written in C++,
that allow researchers to investigate issues in scalar and parallel
optimization.  The SUIF distribution contains all the pieces necessary
for a working compiler that will translate C or FORTRAN into either a
MIPS (R3000) executable or back into C code (suitable for compiling
with a native compiler).  It contains passes to do a variety of
transformations including parallel loop detection, parallel code
generation, cache-based loop transformations, and scalar
optimizations.  The SUIF system will correctly compile most major
benchmark suites.  SUIF also provides a set of core libraries that (we
hope) allow people to easily write new SUIF passes to investigate
their favorite compiler research topic.

WHAT SUIF IS NOT

SUIF is not a production compiler.  It is not suitable for replacing
your native compiler.  Don't even attempt to compile a kernel with it.
SUIF does not have many code generators.  SUIF will not generate
scalar code that's as good as your native compiler (unless you use the
"C" backend and actually compile with your native compiler...)  If you
are running a machine that is not MIPS-based, you will have to use the
"C" backend and feed the result into your native C compiler (SUIF will
do this automatically).  SUIF is not supported software.  It is
distributed without warranty.  We will do what we can to help you with
problems, but in the end you're on your own.  See the end of this file
for information on mailing lists about SUIF.

I´ll help them (idiom) update some links because they´re a bit old...

enjoy,

Pedro.