Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 17:37:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Matijs <matijs@blender.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DEC Etherworks 2 problem

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Matijs wrote:

> My questions to you are:
>
> - Is the DE201 DEC Etherworks 2 NIC no longer supported in FreeBSD 4.2?
> - What could be the cause for the NIC not functioning under FreeBSD 4.1.1?
> - Is there a workaround to manually add the driver to the kernel?

I believe the le0 driver was disabled since it was broken in 4.x and
nobody has had the opportunity to fix it. Partly my fault since I
submitted the original PR but never got around to assisting the FreeBSD
person willing to try and fix it. Fixing drivers for vintage hardware
can't be a priority when newer stuff needs attention more urgently and
human resources are stretched. In the meantime, my two-dozen spare DE201s
will probably find a home in Windows machines. as might yours... I'd say
you're better off putting in a different NIC.

-ac

Alex Charalabidis                           Worldspice Technologies
5050 Poplar Ave.         Memphis, TN, USA           +1 901 432 6000
Opinions expressed are mine alone but may be yours for a small fee.