Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 22:13:10 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
Cc:        adrian@ubergeeks.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anyone still using GUS MAX's?

On Sun, Jun 28, 1998 at 08:42:16PM +0930, Peter Childs wrote:
> In article <6n0hf9$a4s$1@al.imforei.apana.org.au> you wrote:
>

> > 	Still no go.  Has anyone been using the MAX under 2.2.6 instead of
> > -current?  I think I may just throw in a SB16 for the next few months.
>
> > 	The GUS support under 2.2.6 looks like it has problems.  In any
> > case, as I read the code, the isa_dmastart message is going to happen 100%
> > of the time whether things are working or not.  isa_dmaacquire is never
> > called.
>
>  I've just spent the last week or so throwing my hands up at this prob..
>
>  I installed OSS for FreeBSD and the x11amp version worked great.. but
>  these little spontaneous reboots worried me.. so i dumped that since i'm
>  used to my system never going down unless i'm shutting it down!
>
>  So i went back to the voxware stuff.. (pcm does _not_ work with non-pnp
>  gus's btw)
>
>  My GUS MAX is working under 2.2-stable (as of a few days ago) but the
>  console fills up with
>    isa_dmastart: channel 1 not acquired
>    isa_dmastart: channel 1 not acquired
>    isa_dmastart: channel 1 busy
>   [repeated about 10000000 times...]
>  when playing mp3 files with splay, amp, or mpg123.  i have no problems
>  with mods/s3m's with s3mod or midi's with playmidi...

I'm running my GUS *Classic* under 2.2-stable as of late May, and
playmidi wakes me each morning without problems. I simply put in the line
that LINT suggested and it worked. But I have heard of someone not being
able to use their old GUS with 2.2.6-release.

I have been getting an excruciatingly annoying avalanche of apparently
harmless error messages whenever I use the GUS, ever since 2.1.5 in 1996.
During that time I have tried all manner of kernel entries for the GUS
and it made no difference. There is not much sympathy for people using
old hardware (I purchased it new in 1996!) so I only whinged half a dozen
times :-)

Apparently it is possible to change some sources to prevent these
messages, but with my lack of skill and confidence I have been reluctant
to do so. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that an old PR on this was
still open. If it's so easy and harmless to fix I guess it would have
been fixed ages ago, so this little newbie's keeping her hands off it.
So far I'm just wearing the messages as usual, and avoiding using ttyv0
has become a natural habit. I usually only play midis, and the occasional
.au or .mod for kicks. I don't even know what an mp3 is.

>  I'm building a 2.2.0-RELEASE kernel now and i'll see if something along
>  the way broke something....

I was running that for 12 months off and on until May this year, and
doing much more with the GUS then. Again, the card worked fine with 2.2.2
but spewed out stuff like "isa_dmastart: channel 7 busy" and log entries
like "last message repeated 123 times" for the duration of its use.

So GUS Classic plays midis fine but complians bitterly with all of
2.1.5
2.2.2
2.2-STABLE of late May 98

--