Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:02:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>
To:        carlo@vis.ethz.ch
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNU smalltalk, can't run version 1.96

This is not entirely an answer, but check out the 'squeak' port, it's
a smalltalk VM more like (identical to?) the Xerox one...

- Mike H.

   Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 22:17:13 +0200 (CEST)
   Cc: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
   From: carlo@vis.ethz.ch (Carlo Dapor)
   Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG

   Dear fellow current people

   It is a quest for the Holy Grail I have embarked weeks ago.
   The harbours I have peered are:  FreeBSD 4.3 and FreeBSD current.

   The last version I was able to build and run the tests is version 1.8.5, with
   some patches, both on 4.3 and current.

   But what I am not successfull with is neither with 1.96 or 1.95.x.
   I compiles on 4.3 and current, but at runtime I get a segfault.

   On 4.3, the offending showstopper is around the definition of primitive
   184_185 (or similar), whereas on current it around the definition of
   primitive 203_204, I think.  Interestingly, it compiles and runs smoothly
   on an SMP Linux 2.2.19.

   I also tried with gcc 3.0 on current, same result.

   Has anybody had more luck ?

   Tell me HOW, please.

   Ciao, derweil,
   --