Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 02:52:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interesting problem: chowning files sent via FTP

> Is this so? I was under the impression that the default group of a
> new file was the login group of the creator, as specified in /etc/passwd.

The group by default is the group of the directory.
No sgid need to be set on the directory.
I've been using this in FreeBSD for a few years.
In System V (Irix) - it's different.

Just an idea for the secure files transfer - "scp" (ssh) -
it allows to to transfer everything securely.
ssh can be used to delete the files.

Igor