Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:01:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Geoffrey T. Falk" <gtf@cirp.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AW: crypto fs?

I have played with CFS. It is unsatisfactory for a number of reasons.

It is implemented via a daemon that runs over an NFS connection. This
is not clean. It is also slow.

CFS takes over a directory in a filesystem. It does not encrypt disk
blocks. It leaves information about your directory topology and file
sizes available to an attacker.

The CFS daemon also has a memory leak (at least in the current
version). You will notice this if you copy several GB or if you leave it
up and running for a while.

A proper crypto filesystem would encrypt the blocks in the strategy()
routine. One could run a standard FFS directly on top of it. I have
searched for such a project but did not find anything.

As an aside, in the process of investigating this, I discovered that
documentation on BSD internals is severely underpublished. In contrast,
I found an entire O'Reilly book on the Linux filesystem, complete with
code samples.

Regards
g.