Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:06:47 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Joe Abley' <jabley@clear.co.nz>, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Adding desktop support

	[ML]  Seconded.
	[ML]  ...
> An application such as a file manager could then select an icon for
> display which is appropriate to the number of available colours.

	[ML]  would be a nice touch, yes.  If .icon exists, a 4-bit
version is mandatory, the others are optional.

> In fact, running amok with this idea, perhaps an xml section
> describing
> the command-line parameters of the executable with a known (minimal)
> DTD
> would be useful for applications for which an ability to pre-parse
> command-line syntaxes would be useful (like file managers, once
> again).
	[ML]  .usage is probably what you are thinking about.
	.purpose is another one (what does this executable actually do).

> This all sounds very non-unixy. But I don't really know why.
	[ML]  Well, it sounds like MacOS, or OS/2 with their structured
files.  It sounds like Windows, too.  But these capabilities are not bad
(in fact, a colleague of mine has been recently complaining about
missing desktop support under X11--he is a OS/2 fan).  Until ELF, UNIX
didn't really have support for structured executables; now it does, this
meta-info does not cost much, is completely backwardly compatible (image
loader ignores unknown ELF sections) and it opens a way for unified
executable desktop representation.

	Shortly, a GoodIdea John.

	/Marino