Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:33:08 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Mikel <mikel@ocsinternet.com>
Cc:        richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tales From The City

Having grown up in NYC, and still living there when I'm not off at
college, I can second everything people have said so far about these
stores.  Mostly they stink.  They're usually called camera shops, have
unreal deals, and sell every imaginable thing under the sun, but not in
the way you want.  Tourists think they're being streetwise by pretending
to get a bargain with these guys.  Don't get me wrong, you can actually
get very cheap stuff off these guys if you know how, but it's not easy.
I actually managed to talk one store into giving me a Mic/earplug for my
cellphone and a case stamped "REAL LEATHER" in gold (which means "Fake
leather") for $15.  But it's not easy, and it took 18 years of living
around these morons just to get the occasional deal.

Bottom line, unless you have nothing better to do than hunt around
midtown looking for the right mix of "too good to be real prices" and
"too honest to be fake" people, you won't get anything but trouble from
these guys.

L:

Mikel wrote:

> That does sound like something vayguely familiar...ah yes...
>
> "$0.40 cup of coffee please"
>
> Sales person, "Oh did you want the .40 cup of coffee, well I'm affriad were
> all out of the .40 cups, how about the .99 cup that somes with the bagel .35
> upgrade perhaps?"
>
> "yeah ok."
>
> Smiling sales person, "...I could slip some cream cheese or butter on that
> for an additional .45..."
>
> richard childers wrote:
>
> > Funny story in connection with laptops and FreeBSD.
> >
> > When I transported into Manhattan last Saturday, one of the things on my
> > list of to-dos was to stop by a computer store in Grand Central Station
> > that I had noticed was offering laptops for low, low prices, and see
> > what they offered.- the business card that I was initially offered, when
> > I had stopped by on my way into town, and had negotiated this offer with
> > the salesman and his immediate boss, says "Grand Central Cameras".
> >
> > We're talking @ $649 for a Toshiba or maybe a Compaq, 400-500 mHz, 32
> > MB, 5-6 GB. Says as much right in front of the store. I liked the idea
> > of buying two or three very inexpensive laptops and having one or more
> > spares rather than investing in a very high-end system that would be
> > obsolete in a year or less, anyway.
> >
> > The gotcha was that the laptop I was interested in, the Toshiba, umm,
> > 2105, maybe?, came with that same old hokey 800x600 resolution, with an
> > option for "virtual" resolutions higher than 800x600, where the physical
> > window could slide around over a larger window maintained in memory.
> > X-Windows did it better over ten years ago; why would I want this sort
> > of crap? I didn't say so, of course, but while I was trying to decide if
> > I wanted this and was waiting for the three Toshibas - 500 mHz, 64 MB,
> > 5.2 GB disk, negotiated for an order of 3 laptops, at $700 per - that I
> > had just ordered to be brought from wherever they were, the salesman
> > told me that the higher resolution screen was available but that it was
> > about $286; who knows, maybe more for the actual installation. A faster
> > CPU was also available.
> >
> > While I was weighing this in my mind, I started telling the salesman
> > that I actually had a Toshiba with a 200 mHz CPU, 32 MB of memory,
> > running FreeBSD, X Windows, eight virtual screens, a relational database
> > server, and a slew of network monitoring software, and still had cycles
> > to spare (an exaggeration, that, by the way, but we *are* in bargaining
> > mode, here ... really, the one thing I *didn't* have was CPU cycles to
> > spare, so the system, as offered, was just about what I needed) ... and
> > then, an older salesman interrupted to say that they would not be able
> > to sell the laptops I'd ordered, that they would take several days to
> > acquire, that they were not available.
> >
> > I hadn't made up my mind until then; but I began to wonder, suddenly.
> >
> > Was I the subject of what are called 'bait and switch' tactics? Or was
> [...]

Laurence Berland
Intern, Flooz.com
Northwestern '04
stuyman@confusion.net