Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 13:05:40 -0500
From:      "leegold" <no_spam@worldpost.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   nasty x problem

I'm afraid of getting myself into more trouble. Please
keep the instructions simple and please give me
step by step instructions, then... as a technical
sidebar please explain to me what
 happened\what I did wrong. (note: my email is leegold@operamail.com)
I also check/lurk in the ques. archives

1. I tried to update from xfree86. 3 to xfree86. 4
   I did a pkg_add and ver4 installed ok
   I installed the xwrappers from the ports.
   I configured all I was supposed supposed to configure
   in /etc/make.conf.

2. Something went wrong. ie I was able to startx as root
   and ver.4 was OK. But as a user I got an error message
   saying I needed to install xwrapper. I did a pkg_info
   and saw wrappper in the list (it was installed).

3. went on the freebsd newgroup and asked for help.
    As a result of the recommendations I got. I did a
    pkg_delete of wrappper. Then I rechecked make.conf,
    saw I had a space were I shouldn't of in the XFREE86_VERSION=4
    string, edited and saved.

4. I then went into posts directory for xwrapper and did a make, make install.
    The prompt (#) returned but there were no lines scrolling at each make
   command I normally ecpected to see. And pkg_info said no xwrapper
    was installed.

5. I screwed my x up. Now I can not even startx as root or a user:
    Below is the error output of startx: Please Help me - Thanks.
    Note I tried and tried to redirect the error output as root
    user to a user file but  #startx 2> /home/username/error_mess
   just would not work so below is the error output when trying
   to startx as a user. But, the root and users errmessages are
   quite alike reflecting the same problem imo. Thanks

xauth:  creating new authority file /home/leegold/.Xauthority
xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name ":0" in "list" command
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/leegold/.Xauthority
xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name ":0" in "add" command
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/leegold/.Xauthority
xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name ":0" in "list" command
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/leegold/.Xauthority
xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name ":0" in "add" command

Fatal server error:
Cannot open log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log"

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.

giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/leegold/.Xauthority
xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name ":0" in "remove" command
xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name ":0" in "remove" command