Date:      Tue, 02 Jun 2009 21:16:00 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS NAS configuration question

sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
>>root filesystem is remounted read write only for some configuration
>>changes, then remounted back to read only.
>

> Does this work reliably for you? I tried doing the remounting trick,
> both for root and /usr, back in the 4.x time frame. And could never
> get it to work - would always end up with inconsistent file systems.

The system is in production from October 2008 and never paniced in
remounting. In this time frame, we got only two deadlocks caused by
earlier versions of ZFS.
At this time, files on ZFS are using 28151719 inodes, storage is for
daily rsync backups of dozen webservers and mailserver.

I am using

mount -u -o current,rw /
[do some configuration work]
sync; sync; sync;
mount -u -o current,ro /

The sync command is maybe useless, but I feel safer with it ;o)
(root filesystem is not using soft-updates)

Miroslav Lachman