Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 18:20:08 -0400
From:      "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@storm.ca>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file completion

--iq/fWD14IMVFWBCD

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 12:09:47AM +0200, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
>=20
> That centred around programming in it, not interactive use, iirc.

    Yeah, but I still can't accept the way environment variables, aliases a=
nd
shell redirection are handled in csh. We use it at work, and I hate it. I h=
ave
a hack to start bash, but I have to help others using csh all the time.=20

    Something as simple as=20

    find / -name "*.c" -print 2>/dev/null

    is very difficult to do in csh because it doesn't give you a separate 2
for stderr. It's great if you want to send stderr and stdout to the same pl=
ace
ala

    >& and |&

    but if you want to send them to different places, you have to do this
annoying nonsense with parens.=20

    Then there's the magickal set path and get PATH. I prefer explicit.=20

    Just annoyances from someone who debugs csh problems a lot.=20

    Mike

--=20
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>=20
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessari=
ly a
good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could=
 be
dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead." -- RFC 1925

--iq/fWD14IMVFWBCD

--iq/fWD14IMVFWBCD--