Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:34:35 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Petr Holub" <hopet@ics.muni.cz>, <lha@stacken.kth.se>
Cc:        <arla-drinkers@stacken.kth.se>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
Subject:   Re: ARLA 0.35.11 on FreeBSD 5.0-RC1

At 4:15 PM +0100 12/15/02, Petr Holub wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I tried to compile arla 0.35.11 on FreeBSD 5.0-RC1. First I got
>following error:
>
>checking for memcpy in kernel... yes
>checking if vnode_if.h needs to be built... configure: error: unable
>to find any vnode_if script
>
>So I have linked
>-su-2.05b# ln -s /sys/i386/compile/EVENSTAR/vnode_if.h /usr/include/vnode_if.h
>
>Then configre and make proceeds until it stops on error shown
>below my signature. Can anybody help?

I believe arla needs to have some effort put into it to get it
working on -current.  I started looking into that about six to
eight months ago, but ran into a streak of bad luck trying to
do anything at all with -current, and eventually gave up.  That
wasn't arla's fault, I was just having a string of bad luck.

Now that I'm having much better luck with -current, I haven't had
the time to go back and look into arla.  Also, since that time
there has been a fair amount of progress with openafs support for
freebsd, and for my own purposes that would be an "easier sell" to
my managers anyway.  [not that I have openafs working on -current
either, but I do hope to get to that soon...]

When I was looking into this, I was talking with Andrea Campi about
some changes he had for arla on -current.  He was also very busy at
the time, but maybe he still has that around.  (I'm in the middle
of upgrading & shuffling my hardware around, and I think I lost my
copy of those arla changes in the process of that shuffling).