Date:      Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:43:23 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@freebsd.org>
To:        Daniel Gerzo <danger@rulez.sk>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org, Tilman Linneweh <arved@arved.at>, Arthur Hartwig <ahartwig@iprg.nokia.com>
Subject:   Re: Comments on the new web site

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 11:00:34PM +0200, Daniel Gerzo wrote:
> > It is not physical space but clutter.  The more links you have the
> > harder it is to find the relevant ones.  With 10 links, it is easy to
> > find a 'developers' link.  If you clutter that with 30 links, the same
> > 'developers' link becomes much harder to find.  That's why people
> > contantly couldn't find things like the 'release engineering' link on
> > the old front page.
>
> Actually, when one want to get to the cvs repository through our web
> page, he needs 3 more clicks if he know what is he seeking for
> (Developers->CVS Repository->web interface does the trick). This is
> pretty long way and the Shortcuts are meant to simplify those
> steps, aren't they?

No.  The goal of the shortcuts is not to add a link to every third
level page straight on the main page.  That was the point of my
demonstrates.

If you add a CVS web link to the shortcuts, then where does someone go
if they want Anonymous CVS access or CVSup access?  Those people might
think they should also click on that link since it has CVS in the
name, but they would quickly find out that is wrong.

With just a developers link it is again, very clear that people
seeking things like CVSweb/Anonymous CVS/CVSup type information should
go there.

> > Putting as many links as will fit is the problem, not the solution.
>
> I think that cvsweb is pretty much used between
> developers and contributors (but personally, when I need to check
> something through cvsweb, I'm not going through main web page, I just
> click on cvsweb.freebsd.org)...

I'm sure most people do just that, which is again why adding the link
in the shortcuts would make things more confusing without much
benefit.

	- Murray