Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:09:52 +0200
From:      Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
To:        kde@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] Re: sysutils/k3b and burncd(8)

On Wednesday 15 September 2004 15:36, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> > > The k3b application seems unable to use FreeBSD's burncd(8) utility
> > > to burn on IDE CD/DVD devices. It supports many other burning
> > > back-ends, so adding it should not be too difficult, but I don't
> > > want to duplicate the work.
> > >
> > > Is anyone working on it? At the moment one can only use k3b to
> > > create an image and then burn it from command line...
> >
> > I don't know whether adding support for burncd makes too much sense,
> > since you always can add atapicam support to your kernel and use k3b's
> > cdrecord backend...
>
> This seems like a serious kludge to me. If we did not have the burncd
> utility, or if k3b did not support many different burners, I'd agree
> with you, but since the app has supports the back-end diversity, I
> think, we should use it. Yours,

The atapicam support was merged into k3b based on the patches from Heiner. I
didn't realize that atapicam was an unstable and wonky bit of code (as
suggested by two other messages in this thread). I'm pretty sure noone from
the KDE-FreeBSD team is working on burncd support.

What makes you think that k3b supports many other burning backends?

--
Don't worry, 't ain't no shame to be stupid - ol' mouse.
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot