Date:      Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:05:32 -0500
From:      Paul Chvostek <paul+fbsd@it.ca>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   the PERL make variable...

Hiya.

On a number of occasions when creating ports of Perl scripts, I've
included a make target with something like:

    @${SED} '1s:^#!/usr/bin/perl:#!${PERL}:' < ${_DISTDIR}${DISTFILES} > ${WRKSRC}/...

But the two new ports I submitted last week had this use of PERL removed
upon commit.

I've submitted other ports in the past that did similar things ...
mostly in 4.x days, when PERL was often /usr/local/bin/perl.

The PERL variable of course points to the perl binary to be used for
shell magic.  Lots of ports use it, and I haven't seen any announcements
indicating that it was going away.

Are we beyond needing PERL anymore?  Are we confident that do not (and
will never) require Perl to live anywhere else?  Is there an
announcement coming, or was the committer who handled my ports just a
little too eager to shrink the Makefiles?  :)

  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>
  it.canada, hosting and development                   http://www.it.ca/