Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:07:04 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Roman Kurakin <rik@cronyx.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAJOR number

Sorry for the late reply.

Roman Kurakin wrote this message on Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 21:09 +0300:
> I need a new  MAJOR number for our new device.
> How can I get it?

Are you sure you need one?  Are you doing a -stable release of the driver?
or just a -current?  You only need a major number if you are doing a
-stable release, otherwise in -current you just don't specify the major
number in your cdevsw, and devfs will now automaticly assign you one
when you create your device node...

There are still major numbers for a few devices that may are standard
(such as zero/null), but not common...

> I've read that FreeBSD doesn't use them any more.
> But we may need it to not interfere with other device
> drivers in previous releases of FreeBSD.

so, you are planning do do 4.x and earlier releases of your driver?

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579