Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:58:52 +0100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>
To:        dpoland@omniresources.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports and packages

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 11:50:21AM -0600, Doug Poland wrote:

> > > If I want to remove it, would I do a "pkg_delete" or
> > > "make deinstall"?
> >
> > That depends. If you have cvsup-t the ports-tree you often see that
> > the version in the ports-tree is not the one you have installed.
> > In that case you can only remove it with pkg_delete. If it is still
> > the same version you can delete it with make deinstall.
> >
> > If you look in the source of the makefiles in the ports-directory
> > (/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.ports.mk) and search for ^deinstall, you will
> > see that it does nothing more that calling pkg_delete...
> >
> I'm currently not updating ports with cvsup so I can do either.
> Does a pkg_delete do a "make clean" as well?

No, "pkg_delete" only throws away the installed files, as does
"make deinstall" (only "make deinstall" should be called from the
proper directory while "pkg_delete" works everywhere). "make clean"
removes the source from the ports-directories, it does nothing with
installed ports.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions:
mavetju@chello.nl |                     http://fataldimensions.nl.eu.org/