Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 11:23:32 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Andy Sparrow <andy@geek4food.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE32

Conrad Sabatier:
 |Randall Hopper:
 |> Andy Sparrow:
 |>  |
 |>  |Unfortunately, I can't use VoxWare (and thus the AWE driver) anymore
 |>  |with -CURRENT.
 |>
 |> Why is that?
 |
 |Because, once again, they've gone and deprecated the Voxware drivers
 |<sigh>.  Frankly, this is very disappointing to me.  If you recall, we
 |went through exactly the same thing a good while back with -current (just
 |prior to 2.2.8 or 3.0, I think), and there was such a hew and cry that
 |they put it back in very quickly.

Sure do.  I was among the folks protesting.

 |I'm running 4.0-STABLE now, and frankly, I'm not too happy with the newpcm
 |driver(s).  I'm getting a lot more chop now playing MP3s on my 166 MHz P5
 |than I did with Voxware.  Bummer.  Not to mention *NO MIDI*.  I'm sorry,
 |but timidity just plain *sucks* compared to awemidi with a nice wavetable
 |loaded.
 |
 |I may end up just going back to 3.4-STABLE and staying there.  I *liked*
 |my awemidi.  I *liked* smooth MP3s.  I *don't* like this.  <sigh>

Thanks for the heads-up.  I will certainly fortify my 3.4-RELEASE
installation, grab all the packages out there, burn them onto CDs, do a
full backup, and plan do stick with 3.4 for a while.  Unless the sound
driver situation changes, a _long_ while.

 |Why must they do this?  We went through the whole thing about not removing
 |older functionality until there was a suitable replacement before.  This
 |is just nuts, if you ask me.

I see what you mean.  If we were close to the same level of functionality
(soundcard support, pcm, midi, etc.), from your results it sounds like we
still need more testing before we pull the rug out from under folks like
that.  But, we're not at that level yet (AFAICT).  So I'm scratching my
head too.  Are we trying to alienenate FreeBSD desktop users or what?

Randall