Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:58:32 +0100
From:      Simon Barner <barner@gmx.de>
To:        Kirill Ponomarew <krion@voodoo.oberon.net>
Cc:        Marwan Burelle <Marwan.Burelle@lri.fr>
Subject:   Re: devel/pcre and WITH_UTF8

--ofZMSlrAVk9bLeVm

Kirill Ponomarew wrote:
> > A proper solution for this would be a slave port devel/pcre-utf8 that
> > enforces the use of the WITH_UTF8 option. (See e.g. devel/boost and
> > devel/boost-python for an example).
>=20
> OTOH we can't afford to create slave ports for almost every
> configure option.

Yes, you're right, since there are exponentially many combinations of
options, creating slave ports is not the right way.

We probably need a mechanism to require compile time options via the
dependency mechanism.

The following idea just popped into my mind (probably most applicable to
OPTIONs):
 - encode the set of chosen options into the package name
 - enhance the dependency tracking algorithm to accept the installed
   version of a port if and only if the set of installed options is a
   super-set of the set of requested options.

Admittedly, this might result in lengthy package names (but that's the
same if popular combination of options are encoded as slave ports).

Of course, patches are better than RFCs and specifications, so I'll go
back to my corner and keep my mouth shut again ;-)

Cheers,
 Simon

--ofZMSlrAVk9bLeVm

--ofZMSlrAVk9bLeVm--