Date:      Fri, 04 Jun 1999 02:08:26 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, dyson@iquest.net, Amancio Hasty <ahasty@mindspring.com>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, schimken@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: 3.2-stable, panic #12

> I'm not saying he should have backed out his changes, I'm saying that
> they shouldn't have been made - that's why removing the commit bit
> was the right move.

Let me just explain something here which I think may either make Matt
happier or less so, depending on his priorities. :)

Matt's commit bit was NOT removed due to the technical nature or
quality of his work.  Yes, there were many concerns expressed about
the pace of his changes and the review process for (which, I actually
must concur with Matt, is largely ineffective in some respects, so
much so for many things that I no longer even bother to solicit review
for them since I *know* that nobody is even going to give it the most
minimal attempt), but this was not the "breaking issue" that caused us
to take a big step backward for a rethink.  It was an issue of
personality clashes and Matt's personal differences with a few people
in core that inevitably led to the decision.

There are a lot of people in and outside of core who are frankly a
royal pain in the ass to deal with (we put the "fun" back in
dysfunctional) and, come the revolution, they'll probably be first up
against the wall and shot.  Nonetheless, this is the hand we've been
dealt and we have to work together and make the best of it no matter
what the various personality issues are since the alternative is a
much worse blow-up and all the dire consequences which come from that
(let's all not forget how OpenBSD first started, shall we?).  Matt
feels that we're overly tolerant and/or thick-skinned when it comes to
our own shortcomings, and perhaps he's right in principle, but as a
*practical* matter I think we're doing no more or less than what we
have to just in order to work together over the long term.  We don't
have to always like it, we just have to make it work and make it work
in such a way that most of us will still be here in another year's
time.

The analogy I like to use is that of family - you can choose your
friends, but you don't get to choose your family and that's what makes
large family get-togethers the fun-filled affairs that they so often
are.  Nonetheless, for a lot of good reasons, it's worth trying to
make it work anyway and not simply get the shotgun out of the closet
to blast cousin Earl into next week, even though it would be so deeply
satisfying to do so.  Matt's failure was that he gave in to that
temptation and discharged buckshot into more than a few rear-ends,
making it necessary to cross him off the guest list for the next
christmas dinner. :-)

I think (HOPE) we've all learned from the experience, however, and we
can see how our next family picnic (USENIX) turns out.  As usual,
conducting such discussions in person is far more productive than
attempting to discuss potentially sensitive matters over email.

- Jordan