Date:      Fri, 29 Apr 2011 17:15:24 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS v28 for 8.2-STABLE

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:20:21PM +0300, Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:
> 28.04.2011 07:37, Ruslan Yakovlev wrote:
> >Does actually patch exist for 8.2-STABLE ?
> >I probe
> >http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/zfs/v28/stable-8-zfsv28-20110317.patch.xz
> >
> >Building failed with:
> >can't cd to /usr/src/cddl/usr.bin/zstreamdump
> >Also sys/cddl/compat/opensolaris/sys/sysmacros.h failed to patch.
> >
> >Current FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #35 Mon Apr 18 03:40:38 EEST 2011 i386
> >periodically frozen on high load like backup by rsync or find -sx ...
> >(from default cron tasks).
>
> Well ZFSv28 should be very close to STABLE for now?
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2011-February/023152.html

It's now a matter of opinion.  The whole idea of ZFSv28 being committed
to HEAD was to be tested.  I haven't seen any indication of a progress
report provided for anything on HEAD that pertains to ZFSv28, have you?

Furthermore, the FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report just came out on 04/27
for the months of January-March (almost a 2 month delay, sigh):

1737     04/27 10:58  Daniel Gerzo        ( 41K) FreeBSD Status Report January-March, 2011

http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2011-01-2011-03.html

Which states that ZFSv28 is "now available in CURRENT", which we've
known for months:

http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2011-01-2011-03.html#ZFSv28-available-in-FreeBSD-9-CURRENT

But again, no progress report, so nobody except those who follow
HEAD/CURRENT know what the progress is.  And that progress has not been
relayed to any of the non-HEAD/CURRENT lists.

I'm a total hard-ass about this stuff, and have been for years, because
it all boils down to communication (or lack there-of).  It seems very
hasty to say "Yeah! MFC this!" when we (folks who only follow STABLE)
have absolutely no idea if what's in CURRENT is actually broken in some
way or if there are outstanding problems -- and if there are, what those
are so users can be aware of them in advance.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |