Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 22:13:56 +0100 (MET)
From:      Pierre.David@prism.uvsq.fr (Pierre DAVID)
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        jlj@prism.uvsq.fr
Subject:   64 MB ECC or 128 MB non ECC ?

Dear fellow FreeBSD users,

We are thinking about upgrading our old Sparc 10 server
to a P6 running FreeBSD.

This machine will be used primarily as a NFS server for
about 70 clients (Sun, HP, DEC, FreeBSD), and some PC
clients (10, 20, may be more) with Samba. This machine will
also be our mail hub, DNS server, POP server, anonymous ftp
server, etc.

The current disk capacity on our Sparc is about nine 4 GB
disks, which means that the new machine will handle about
30 to 40 GB when all slow SCSI disks will be replaced by
new ultra-wide SCSI disks. We are planning a single
Adaptec 3940UW PCI card for disks, and a low cost PCI
SCSI card for slow devices such as tapes, CD-Rom, etc.

We are faced with the following dilemnna: either we choose
64 MB of ECC memory (72 pins), or 128 MB of non ECC
memory (standard EDO) since prices are very near.
The Intel Venus motherboard is said to support ECC memory.

With this context in mind, do some of you have feelings
to share? What kind of Ram would you choose?

BTW, how to FreeBSD handle parity errors? Does it panic,
or does it kill the current process (if it is an error
in user-mode), or anything else?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Pierre David