Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:46:34 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>, Tomas Svensson <tsn@gbdev.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendfile() in tftpd?

> > > No, sendfile() is only for TCP connections, TFTP is using UDP. If you
> > > want performance, use something else.
> > It's even in the manpage:
> > Sendfile() sends a regular file specified by descriptor fd out a stream
> > socket specified by descriptor s.
> >
> > Silly me. BTW, I can't use anything else. Are there any alternatives to
> > TFTP for booting machines off the network? (using standard, PC components)
>
> USE TFTP to get a tiny image up, and then go TCP.
>
> There are also lightweight TCP stacks that fit in 8K or 16K; you
> could come up with your own protocol, or decide to use FTP instead
> of TFTP for the download.
>
> In general, the faster you get to something TCP based, the happier
> you will be, so if you *must* use TFTP, then make the boot image
> really, really small.

Going to TCP soon assumes that you have a lossless medium in order to
transmit packets over.  If you're using a lossy medium, TFTP (and other
UDP based protocols) can kick their butt because of TCP's assumption
that packet loss is a function of congestion, which is often not the
case in lossy mediums such as wirless. :(

Nate