Date:      Mon, 04 May 1998 14:54:15 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   InfoWorld brawl esclates

The brawl in the InfoWorld forum is accelerating. After pointing out some
of the recent statistics from wcarchive, showing the increase in FreeBSD
downloads, I've been branded as a "zealot," as "hyping" FreeBSD, and as
a stooge for large corporations. I didn't realize that the religious
fervor among the Stallmanites was so intense, or that they had the blinders
on so tight.

I'm now convinced that these folks ARE out to kill the *BSDs. Apparently,
they're a threat to the GPL zealots for two reasons. First, they prove that
the restrictive terms of the GPL are not necessary to the success of
collaboratively developed softwre; and second, they provide the access to
re-usable source code that Richard Stallman hoped to deny to commercial
software publishers. This latter point seems to be a source of real
animosity among those who subscribe to Stallman's anti-business views.

So, don't get too comfortable, guys. If what I see is any indication, the
BSDs are seriously under attack. They might do well to respond -- with
hard numbers, proven advantages, AND a bit of zealotry of their own.

Oh, and while I happen to be on the subject, I just visited the site
http://www.opensource.org and noted that it read like a commercial for
Linux -- lots of mentions of Linux and only one of FreeBSD. So, I e-mailed
Eric Raymond about this, asking why FreeBSD had been relegated to a footnote
on their page at http://www.opensource.org/products.html while Linux was
mentioned at the top and throughout. He said,

"Send me information on a conmmercial FreeBSD vendor with a > $1M annual
runrate and I'll use it."

Hmmm.

--Brett Glass