Date:      Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:13:00 +0200
From:      Juho Vuori <juho.vuori@kepa.fi>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   gdb crashes

I'm trying to debug a crash in rhythmbox, but instead my gdb crashes. My
system is i386, RELENG_5 as of March 21, 2005. The rhythmbox I'm trying
to debug is basically from ports version 0.8.8_3, but built with -g.

My gdb session goes like this: (completely predictable)

loppa$ gdb ./rhythmbox
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...
(gdb) b rhythmdb_entry_new
Breakpoint 1 at 0x8089490: file rhythmdb.c, line 724.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/juho/bin/rhythmbox
gdb in realloc(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb/libgdb/../../../../contrib/gdb/gdb/utils.c:1030:
internal-error: virtual memory exhausted: can't allocate 41472 bytes.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.
Quit this debugging session? (y or n) y

/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb/libgdb/../../../../contrib/gdb/gdb/utils.c:1030:
internal-error: virtual memory exhausted: can't allocate 41472 bytes.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.
Create a core file of GDB? (y or n) y
Abort trap (core dumped)
loppa$

I'm not exactly sure, if this report can help anybody figure out what
might be wrong with gdb, but definately something is wrong with it. The
machine has plenty of memory left. Also, this is a pretty vanilla
debugging case, so I don't really believe it is actually running out of
address space. The core file it dumped was just 78GB.

I haven't experienced this before with other versions of gdb/freebsd,
but also I've never before debugged this particular piece of software
either, so I don't know what to think.

I'm stuck with this.

Juho Vuori