Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:36:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Odd dir-cache #'s with Samba and moving files...

I wish I would've grabbed a screen shot while it was happening, but I
didn't.

In any case, a fairly recent 4.0-stable (last couple weeks), and samba
2.0.7.

The FreeBSD box is doing nothing, except smb, and running systat -vmstat 1
in a telnet session.

From my NT box, I was moving a bunch of files from dir1 to dir2.

While it was doing the move (several thousand files), the name-cache #'s
stayed around 98-99%, and 10k hits.  But the dir-cache stayed around 10%
with 300 or so hits.

dir1 and dir2 are on the same disk, so essentially just simple
moves.  Directory structure was only about 3-4 levels deep.

Any ideas on what knobs and frobs can be tweaked and frobbed to help this
out?  Or if it's even really a problem?  The moves seemed really slow,
maybe 2-3 files moved/second.  Of course, I'm sure something in smbd is
also an issue, but it just seems like that cache should've stayed way the
heck up there...